The New Generation

I had an interesting encounter with a young man in the Pricesmart parking lot the other day. I was putting my groceries in the back of my truck when I hear a voice, "Can you help me with a head start?". I turned around to meet a maybe 18 year old male.

"A head start?" I asked, thinking of a program for troubled youth.

"Yeah, a head start, our vehicle won't go", looking at me, like I'm simple.

"Do you mean a boost?".

"Yeah", he said.

So I drive over across the street and get my vehicle in line to boost him. I see what I assumed was his mother giving me a blank stare from the passenger seat.

" Do you have cables?", again, a are you ever stupid stare.

" Let me dig mine out then", I said. I must give credit where it is due, he did get the hood up on his own.

"Your cable ends are awful corroded that could be a problem". This time I get the distinct impression he wasn't interested in small talk.

I hook the cables up and tell him to try it, away it goes. "You should leave it running for awhile to charge the battery", I said.

"Maybe", he said.

" Suit yourself Martha". I said sarcastically.

"My name isn't Martha" , with the look.

"Never mind" I said.

How lucky was I to help these people? I sure hope this dumb prick isn't representative of the future or we are in serious trouble.

Comments

Popular Posts