Travel Fun

Subject:  Flight Difficulties
Message:  I have heard horror stories about how airlines mix up flights and reservations but never had any trouble until today. I took a trip to St Johns, Newfoundland for Christmas and had a trouble free, on time flight on the way down. I boarded the plane for my return trip January 3rd in St John's at 01:30 Ft St John time where there were no real difficulties other than standing in line for 45 minutes due to the lack of ticket agents. They picked up the pace considerably, fifteen minutes before flight time, so on board I went.


When I arrived in Toronto I asked a ticket agent where I could find my gate for Vancouver, she then checked it out and told me I wasn't supposed to be on the flight I was on. I replied that it was news to me and why did they let me board the flight from St Johns? She had no explanation for me. She said my flight was supposed to be the next day as my connecting flight was cancelled the day before which was also news to me. She also told me that all flights to Vancouver from Toronto were full, so there was little chance that I would be leaving Toronto anytime soon. She then referred me to customer service and I stood in that line for 30 minutes and when it was my turn to talk to an agent she told me I didn't appear to be in the system. I must stress that I was polite and certainly don't blame individual employees for mix ups. It was then I was informed again that I was supposed to be on a flight the next day to Vancouver via Montreal. I said nobody told me to which she replied that they reportedly had no email or phone number and couldn't contact me. I told her I was a Aeroplan member and both addresses and email were registered so she told me she didn't know why that would be.
Then she said she found me and gave me a ticket, now I'm smilin'. As I was walking away, I noticed the name on the ticket was for A. Harris, being smarter than the average loon, I returned and told her my name was Michael J Harrison like the same guy on my itinerary. She thanked me for noticing that right away and we started over, the agent was very professional and polite and I actually liked dealing with her.

She got me on a flight to Vancouver a nice wide body 777 which I had to scramble to catch. I couldn't help but notice quite a number of empty seats just from where I was sitting, about six I believe. The other agent said the flights were all full, I'm thinking. It's also hard to sit back and enjoy a flight when you are wondering if you are going to get home.


When we land I go looking for a ticket agent from Air Canada but the only one I could find had a line up. I walk urgently for awhile and find a flight for Ft St John which they say is delayed on the airport departure monitor. I run down to a customer service agent and hand him my paperwork where I tell him my troubles. He books me on a flight to Ft St. John and calls them to hold the plane for me. I grab my ticket and run out to the aircraft boarding as all of the passengers are looking at me like I delayed their flight. I am now airborne and hope I don't go into hypoglycemic shock as it's had to eat when you're running to catch a flight.. Not being able to pay cash or debit for food on a flight is very annoying.
When we landed in Ft St John I did the obligatory wait for my luggage knowing it wouldn't be on there as I was the last person on the plane and it was in a hurry. I then waited again at the Air Canada  and talked to the representative who told me I had to wait about 15 - 20 minutes to see if it showed up. As my ride was waiting for me, and I was exhausted, I left for home. I called your lost baggage number and was told by a representative that there was an unusually high volume of calls and they would have to call me back, which they did, later last night, but I was sleeping and missed it. I was left a polite message and given a number to call which today has been busy for a half an hour and I haven't got through yet . I went out to our airport in Ft St John this morning but the terminal was dark and appeared to be closed.
I did get a phone call last night from a Air Canada representative Marsha in New Brunswick: # 506 693 2977 who asked me if I was still in Toronto. I told her I was home and she asked me, how I got there!  I told her the number of the flight, AC 181 took me to Vancouver.
I totally understand that airlines are going to have difficulties, especially with weather in our country, but my problems didn't appear to be related to that. There appears to me to be some serious communications failures in your system and I found it a very difficult start to my new year.
On the positive side, the flight down was great and all of your agents and reps were as helpful and polite as they could be.
I would appreciate a reply and hope my information can help you to improve in the future.
Sincerely,
Michael J Harrison
Aeroplan # 386-762-603

Comments

  1. oh sweet Jesus !! I have heard some terrible things about Air Canada lately !!! WOW.. glad you made it back safely thou :) K

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts